Sunday, October 23, 2011

DC Metro People: Adirondack Style


DC Metro People:
“This photo blog aims to capture all the fascinating people who ride and depend on DC Metro.  The people featured are unaware they are being photographed.  All photographs were taken and processed with an iPhone.”

My son lives in the D.C. area and is a frequent traveler on the Metro.  He discovered this site and, knowing my love of photography, shared the link with me.  Surreptitiously capturing a slice of everyday life is fascinating to me, which is why I find DC Metro People so intriguing. 

A couple of weeks ago, some friends and I took a train ride in the Adirondacks to enjoy the beautiful fall foliage.  We are all photographers, and of course, didn’t leave home without our cameras.  Can you guess where I am going with this story?  If you said that I wanted to emulate DC Metro People by photographing train passengers without their awareness, you were right! 

I don’t own a smart phone, so I had to make do with my DSLR.  Easier said than done, as pointing a big camera at someone is rather conspicuous!  I tried covering up my actions by pretending to photograph my friend sitting next to me.  In actuality, I was focusing on the family sitting across the aisle from us!

As promised, here is the answer to last week’s “Guessing Game”:

When my sister was here a few weeks ago, we paid a visit to a museum called Town Line Garage…a local treasure that is dedicated to the 1950’s and 60’s.  The museum is actually closed for the season, but the owner was very gracious in allowing us to stop by.

Sitting in the middle of the old-time soda shop, was a huge display cabinet that housed a diorama.  I thought the scene was beautiful and took a quick snapshot of it.

The owner, apologizing for the disarray, told us that the diorama had come from Guy Park Manor (a local historic site) and had been damaged in the recent flooding that ravaged the area.  He had been asked to repair the diorama, was still in the process of working on it when we visited that day.

Well, that’s it, folks.  Thanks for playing my guessing game!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Great image, Trish, but where are some more? I was hoping you'd post several.

I love that you can oly see parts of their faces, and the look on the mom's face is precious.

Framing Images and Memories said...

As always, interesting writing and story telling. The idea of annoymous travelers is very appealing and you have a terrific image to start your collection!

Bridget said...

sweet family moment. love that their hands are touching and the look on the mother's face.

Marty said...

I should have guessed that diorama!
It looks so different than it did in person! What a great blog this week...Only took me til Friday to see it :-)