Sunday, May 13, 2012

Remembering Ethel Jane


I lost a dear friend this week. 

Ethel Jane was 93 years young and still sharp as a tack.  During our weekly visits, she never ceased to amaze me by her knowledge and awareness of the world outside her window. 

On Ethel Jane’s 91st birthday in 2009, my friends and I threw her a little party, complete with hats and noisemakers.  I gave Ethel Jane a history book about the city of Amsterdam, her hometown.  My friend, Celia, made her a delicious chocolate cake.  It was a huge hit; Ethel Jane talked about that cake for weeks!  My friends, Karen and George, brought her little ice cream cups from Washburn’s Dairy.  Oh, how Ethel Jane loved her ice cream! 

Ever since that party, it was my job to keep Ethel Jane stocked in ice cream cups from Washburn’s Dairy.  I had to purchase three cases at a time:  one case of chocolate, one of vanilla, and one of strawberry.  Of course, Ethel Jane’s freezer was too small to store that much ice cream, so I kept it in my large freezer for her.  When I’d come over for my weekly visit, I’d bring her enough cups to last until the following week.  “They’re the perfect size, and the ice cream is delicious!”  Ethel Jane would say.  Once in awhile, I’d misjudge the quantity and Ethel Jane would run out of ice cream.  When that happened, she would call me on the phone.  Ethel Jane’s speech was difficult to understand, especially over the phone, but I would eventually get the message that she needed more ice cream! 

Ethel Jane also loved candy, particularly chocolate candy.  Junior Mints were one of her favorites, so I was always on the lookout for those miniature boxes, like the kind that are sold at Halloween for trick-or-treaters.  Ethel Jane’s eyes would light up when she saw those little boxes of Junior Mints!

Last month just before Easter, I brought Ethel Jane a solid, dark chocolate bunny from Fariello’s Confectionery.  Whenever I brought her candy, she always insisted on eating a piece or two of it immediately, even if it was close to dinnertime!  So I wasn’t surprised when Ethel Jane dug into her chocolate bunny right away.  I broke off a small piece for her, and then stored the rest in a Ziploc bag.  On my next visit, I noticed that there were only a few chocolate crumbs left in that bag.  Ethel Jane sure had a sweet tooth!

Most of the time I would find her asleep when I arrived.  Not too long ago, though, Ethel Jane surprised me.  When I walked into her room, there she was, propped up in bed with her reading glasses on, poring over the history book I had given her at that long ago birthday party.  I hadn’t seen Ethel Jane that perky in some time!  Sadly, that turned out to be my last good visit with her.  When I stopped by the following week, Ethel Jane’s health had greatly deteriorated.

Rest in peace, my friend.  I will miss you!

“The gift of time we cherish.  The gift of life goes fast.  The gift of love will never end as long as memories last.” ~Author Unknown

4 comments:

Dee said...

I'm so sorry Trishalyn.... Big hug coming your way.

Linda said...

What a great story of friendship. You are an awesome friend and I'm so glad that the Lord brought you into my life all those years ago.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I know your faithfulness to Ethel Jane made her last years much sweeter.

Lisa Dumar said...

What a great memorial tribute to your very dear Friend, Ethel ❤ You shared many great moments with her and those memories you will carry in your heart forever. You were a wonderful & faithful friend to her and I hope you SMILE every time you think of that and how much that meant to her. You are a wonderful person, Trish ❤

Framing Images and Memories said...

I'm sad to read the news. I saw you light up on the days you were going to visit Ethel. You each had a great friend in one another. How special that she enjoyed company, appreciated friendship and had fun in her later years. As Lisa said, you are a wonderful person with a huge heart!