Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pictures of Pictures

Photography serves at least two important functions: it not only preserves our memories, but it also provides a visual documentation of our history.

A few days ago, members of my photo group spent a couple of hours at the County Archives, poring over old photographs for our exciting new project, Main Streets of Montgomery County.

Image #75 depicts the NW corner of Main and Center Streets in Fonda, circa 1926.


#514 portrays Main Street in Fonda “before the demolition.” Can anyone help identify the year? The auto in the lower LH corner may provide somewhat of a clue.

You’re probably shaking your head and wondering what in the world does #586 have to do with Main Streets? The answer is nothing. I was simply intrigued with this 1976 image of the Fonda Bicentennial Committee. I recognized several people on the Committee, including my 9th grade science (or was it math?) teacher and a current co-worker! How many people can YOU name?


Considering these images were shot thru plastic sleeves under fluorescent lighting at ISO 3200, I was pleasantly surprised at the results. Of course, these photos would not have been possible without the assistance of my friend, Steve, who did a terrific job of helping to minimize the glare by holding the binder upright…and steady…while I photographed. Thanks for your help, Steve!

3 comments:

Framing Images and Memories said...

Your Bokeh assignment gets more precious the more I look. A very 'cute' first image and one that could be poster size, hanging in a little child's room.
Your old, Main Street photos, have great writing along with the images. I've come to expect that!

Linda said...

Great post and what a good idea to post the photos you took of the photos we looked at.

Sorry I can't help you identify any of the people in the group photol.

Bridget said...

nicely done.
i don't know anybody but i love the plaid pants :)