Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In the Sticks




Richfield Springs is considered a village, not a town.  A village is smaller than a town, but larger than a hamlet.  A city is bigger than all of them.

I don’t live in a city.  I don’t live in a town.  I don’t live in a village.  I don’t even live in a hamlet.  Some people might say I live “in the sticks.”

Now, I don’t mind living in the sticks.  In fact, I kind of like it.  You never know what you’ll see when you look out the window.  Deer, turkeys, bunnies, horses…they’ve all roamed in my yard.  Why one morning I even woke up to find a herd of cattle grazing on my lawn.  Did I mention that I live in the sticks?

Which brings me to my point.  I may live next to nowhere, but with just a few clicks of a mouse, a window opens to anywhere in the world.  The World Wide Web, that is. 

My window to the world was abruptly shuttered last week when, without warning, my Internet service failed.  Suddenly, I was isolated…cut off from the rest of the universe…for nearly five days.  FIVE DAYS!  It was suffocating. 

I grew up without computers or the Internet.  In fact, I made it into my…well, let’s just say I was well into adulthood before the Internet was a household word.  Now I can’t live five days without my window-to-the-world?

Maybe I do mind living in the sticks!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Glad you're hooked up again. Good to have you back. I think I'd have the same withdrawal issues.

Love your post. Love the clock photo, but really love the story and the way you wrote it. Made me chuckle.

J.L.Velez said...

Your story telling is so captivating...as well as the colors on the clock in the second photo. I love how you captured that! Every once in a while, I like to do an "internet fast" for a few days. Keeps me from depending too much on it and reminds me of the old days :)

Bridget said...

ha ha ha...
nice post and oh so true.

Sarah said...

It's really amazing how fast new technology goes from "wow, thats neat" to "I'd really like to have one of those", to "I can't imagine life without one!"