Sunday, February 26, 2012

Columbus Circle


I spent President’s Day in New York City with a couple of friends.  Our main purpose was to visit The Jewish Museum’s current exhibition: The Radical Camera: New York's Photo League, 1936-1951. “The Photo League students take their camera anywhere . . . they want to tell us about New York and some of the people who live there . . . there was almost a sense of desperation in the desire to convey messages of sociological import.” ~Beaumont Newhall, 1948

The photography show was excellent!  If you plan to be in the NYC area, the exhibition continues through March 25, 2012.

My friends and I spent the rest of the day taking in the sights and sounds of the city.  One of the attractions we visited was Columbus Circle.  Named for Christopher Columbus, it is located in Manhattan and is a major landmark and tourist spot.  Columbus Circle has appeared in many popular movies, including among others, The Devil Wears Prada, Home Alone 2, Taxi Driver, and Die Hard with a Vengeance.

While there wasn’t enough time that day for serious photography, I still had fun shooting snapshots along the way, including these.  The world headquarters of the Time Warner Corporation is located on the west side of Columbus Circle in this building, Time Warner Center.

The rest of these snapshots were taken from inside Time Warner Center, including this one looking out into the Circle.

Looking down from the second floor balcony provided a unique perspective.  Click to enlarge the image, and you’ll see the elderly gentleman cupping his ear for better hearing at the guest services counter. 


A moment in time is captured in this shot.  It’s interesting to note how many people are engrossed with their cell phones.  I count at least seven!

I definitely want to visit Columbus Circle again when I have more time to spend there with my camera! 

4 comments:

Linda said...

Whenever I see pics of NYC I wish I had been there with you. Great shots. I can't imagine them being better if you had done it "seriously". My favorite, hmmmm, #1, #2, #3, #4.

When you're ready to go back, contact me. I'd love to go with you.

Framing Images and Memories said...

Great job! I like the effects you put on the Columbus Circle window shot. It was a fun day!

Marty said...

All great pics!!! Would be hard to pick a favorite. Definitely had the feel of the city.

Bridget said...

sounds like a great day! wish i could have joined you. the shots looking out on columbus circle are great esp the first one.