Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Flat Stanley


Flat Stanley, written in 1964 by Jeff Brown, is a children’s book featuring a boy named Stanley.  One night, a large bulletin board falls from the wall, flattening Stanley as he sleeps.  Flat Stanley, in his new altered state, has the ability to visit friends by being mailed in an envelope.

In 1995, a third grade schoolteacher from Canada began “The Flat Stanley Project.”  This educational project entailed students reading the book, making paper “Flat Stanleys” and then documenting in a journal the places and activities in which Flat Stanley was involved.  Flat Stanley and the journal were then mailed to other students, who were asked to treat Flat Stanley as a visiting guest, adding to his journal.  Flat Stanley was often returned with an accompanying photo of his travels.

My photography group decided to use the Flat Stanley concept for a 2011 assignment.  We were asked to choose an object to be our “Flat Stanley” and take him (or her) with us throughout the year, photographing him (or her) in our travels.  Cool idea, huh? 

I had no trouble finding my Flat Stanley.  As a birthday gift, a friend had given me a cute stuffed animal, or more precisely, a stuffed amphibian in the form of a ballerina frog.  I adore my little ballerina, and couldn’t wait to begin our journey together.  Trouble was, I didn’t go anywhere or do anything particularly interesting until the Fall of 2011.  By that time, I had completely forgotten about our Flat Stanley project.  I think other club members did, too.

Fast forward to Spring of 2012.  I decide it’s high time to resurrect my Flat Stanley project, starting right now, at home.  So here she is, my little ballerina, doing what I do every night:  relaxing on the couch, watching TV!

Where will Flat Stanley go and what will she do next?  Check back in the coming months for more adventures of my Flat Stanley.  In the meantime, how about helping me rename my little ballerina frog?  “Flat Stanley” just doesn’t seem appropriate!

6 comments:

Bridget said...

that flat stanley is so you :) adorable. looking forward to many more adventures with your ballerina and you.

Marty said...

Adorable photo & story! After reading all that, I'm completely blank on names for your frog though..."Flat Stanley" is stuck in my mind!

Linda said...

How about Fat Stella (in honor of Flat Stanley--get it?)? Not pc enough??? Mobil Mary, Traveling Tess, Visiting Veronica, Happy Harriet, Galavanting Gertrude, Curious Carol.

Yikes, stop me!

Anyway, very cute pic and great idea. I'd like to say I'll join this project with you, but all of my best intentions have been going down the drain lately. So I'll just say....maybe.

Linda said...

PS. thanks for the little history lesson. I never did know how or where the concept started in the first place.

Framing Images and Memories said...

I look forward to seeing your Flat Stanley's adventures. As Linda commented, the background information is really cool. As far as renaming I'm not going to be much help as I am fond of Stanley.

Sarah said...

Hang in there little frog, whatever your name is - you've got some exciting travels coming ahead in the next few months! :-)