Sunday, September 2, 2012

Scavenger Hunt – Week #6

This week’s assignment was to hunt for “something that has had a better day.”  Our scavenger hunt leader, being the humorous guy he is, couldn’t resist adding “But no self-portraits!”  Very funny.


Driving through Gloversville, I hunted for the perfect subject.  Bingo!  I went back a few days later to capture my subject in the late evening light.



 Just as I began shooting, some guy came along and talked my ear off about this old house.  He told me it’s slated to be demolished (what a shame, he said!), and went on to point out all the beautiful features of the Victorian architecture. 

Whipping out his smart phone, he rambled on about his love of Victorian style homes as he pulled up a photo to share with me.  The image was of a beautiful Victorian dwelling that’s for sale in a nearby city.  The price?  Only $1.6 million, he said…and definitely in much better shape than this old house!

3 comments:

Framing Images and Memories said...

An interesting topic, a really funny joke by your scavenger hunt leader, a new friend made, stories to tell AND great photos! Now that is what photography is all about! I really like the black and white photo which always give a subject a mysterious feel.

Marty said...

Ditto to all of the above! The b&w is my favorite too, and I was immediately struck by the Victorian architecture when I saw it. Yes, it has seen better days...Can't you just imagine it in its glory days?!

Linda said...

I agree with the previous two comments--the b/w definitely is the winner of the series. Love them all, though.

It looks like it was a stunning home at one time. Makes me so sad to see structures like these just falling apart.