Sunday, June 24, 2012

America’s Presidents


America’s Presidents is a permanent exhibition at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.  This display is the only complete collection of presidential portraits outside of the White House, and it includes all 43 past presidents of the United States.

I had the opportunity to visit this gallery last month, and I really enjoyed the America’s Presidents exhibit.




Artistically speaking, which presidential portrait is your favorite?  (Please, no political comments!)  J

My favorite portrait is of President Bush.  I think the artist really captured his personality.  The painting was so realistic, that one could almost believe President Bush was in the room!

The accompanying narrative to President Nixon’s portrait stated that Norman Rockwell purposely painted the President in a flattering manner.  I found that tidbit amusing!

President Clinton’s portrait is quite creative and unusual.  Isn’t it amazing how squares of abstract art can create such a recognizable portrait?  Even though that style is not my personal preference, kudos to the artist!

4 comments:

Marty said...

I agree with all of your comments!
And enjoyed the memory jogging session of a fun trip to D.C.!

Sarah said...

I spent the most time looking at the Clinton portrait...like it or not, I'd say that the artist achieved the goal of capturing our attention!

Linda said...

I'm surprised you were able to take photos of the paintings.

I agree with your comments about Clinton's portrait, but it's third on my list of favorites. I admire the artist's skill & creativity. I don't think that style is easy, either in painting or photography.

The Bush and Nixon portraits are both great. I think they're both posed in nicely masculine poses, they have great facial expressions (Bush's being just a little better) & the lighting is wonderful. If someone were forcing me to make a decision, I guess I'd have to go with the Bush portrait as my fav.

Framing Images and Memories said...

Well, shockingly, I like Bush's portrait best. Two Rep and one Dem.. I sense a shift in politics lol.
There is something about a presidential portrait that is fascinating. Nice job.