Sunday, August 5, 2012

Scavenger Hunt – Week #2


On this week’s Scavenger Hunt list:  “glass/crystal”
I didn’t have to go far to find my subject. 

On my desk sits a clear, glass cube paperweight with a large black “P” on one side.  Inscribed on another side is Rudyard Kipling’s famous quote:  “I keep six honest serving men.  They taught me all I knew.  Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who!”

Written on the next side is:  “what”… “Never say no…say catalog!”

Engraved on side four is:  “why”… “Sales, profit & customer service!” and “when”…”EVERYDAY!”

Then, “how”… “Let catalog serve your special needs!”

Next, “where”… “Storewide” and “who”… “You and every associate!”

There is nothing particularly impressive about this paperweight.  The glass is considerably scratched, a telltale sign of its age.  But it is quite special to me, simply because it belonged to my father. 

My dad was a JCPenney store manager, and a “company” man through and through.  This paperweight, meant as a motivational tool, sat on his desk for many years.  Now it sits on mine.  I see it everyday and think of that very special man who I called Dad.

5 comments:

Marty said...

I recognized that Penney "P" immediately!

Marty said...

I recognized that Penney "P" immediately!

J.L.Velez said...

Cool shot, I really liked the colors and angle!

Linda said...

Great story, great concept and a great way to photograph the paperweight in a unique way. I like the use of the colored paper as the background.

Bridget said...

love that story!
great shot!